Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Dee-Corum: The Theater




You know the drill.  You wait months and months and spend a tidy sum to purchase tickets to a spectacular theater event – let’s call it Hamilton.  But somehow, this night that should have been the magic of the genius of this show, the writing, the music, the actors, the set – all of it is tarnished by the behavior of a few people who clearly were never taught, or simply don’t care, how to behave while attending a theatrical or cultural performance.




My night began when, as I moved my knees to my right to place my purse under my seat, the man next to me literally snapped his legs to hit mine sharply letting me know I had crossed into his space.  I looked directly at him, smiled and apologized explaining I was just shifting to maneuver my purse.  He never acknowledged that I was speaking to him but looked forward in silence.  Wow.    



The excitement was evident as house lights went down (phone off and in purse) and we  focused our attention to the stage.  Or, tried to.  For during the opening, audience inspiring, powerful number in came four late arrivals who made no attempt to enter quietly.  It was THEN that they decided to work out the seating arrangements, take off coats and be seated.  Settled?  Oh, good.  Now, the show. 

 

But, say it ain’t so.  The very tall and somewhat large (I say this as a plus-sized gal myself) couple in front of me sat straight up, leaned into each other creating a physical wall blocking my view completely unless I shifted my head far to the right next to the aforementioned knee butter. We shifted right to left and left to right for the entire production creating our own little dance.   



Not to be outdone, “Knee Butters” date decided that tonight was the night to express interest in American History. “Who’s Lafayette?” was among her greatest hits. Seriously.  Her encore during the second act was swirling the ice in her plastic cup to tap LOUDLY  into her mouth to crunch during the most heartbreaking of ballads. Three harsh looks and a “Seriously” under my breath did nothing to deter her.



When the curtain came down the show ended and, one would think, so would the bad behavior.  Alas, as we all waited our turn to walk up the balcony stairs to the exit – all of us aware of the elderly couple moving slowly – “Knee Butter” elbowed me out of the way to move ahead of me and around said elderly couple. 



All of this is to say, when you are attending the theater, symphony, dance performance or anything that is NOT a sporting event or rock concert, all of the above would be included on a list of what NOT to do.  In the event no one has ever shared you some of the others, please, allow me: 



  • Talking.  Any talking.  That’s why God created Intermission.
  • Texting.  Yes.  We can see the light of your phone and hear the tapping.
  • Taking photos or videos.  Buy the program book.   
  • Eating.  It’s a 90 minute show.  How busy are you that you need to bring dinner into a theater? 
  • Leaving before the curtain call.  The last thing the performers should see is an audience applauding.  Not the backs of the heads of rude patrons running to be first to the parking lot. 



I hope to see, but not hear you, at a wonderful live theater experience soon.





 This is one of our favorite clips form the movie White Christmas that sums up the Theater experience.  Please enjoy!!



















Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lifestyle by MW | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig